Build your Self-Esteem is an exploratory and experiential course designed to aid learners to understand what self-esteem is, identify current level of self-esteem, improve upon this and learn how to reach beyond your comfort zone to accomplish your goals in life.
This course has been developed using therapeutic techniques from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Psychosynthesis, Art Therapy, Mindfulness and Choice Theory. It is not just an opportunity to learn about self-esteem but an opportunity to personally develop using psychological interventions. These interventions are made very accessible with additional learning aids to ensure you can adopt these skills, practice them in real life scenarios and build your self-esteem as you navigate from module to module.
Over the 6 modules, you gain greater awareness of your thoughts, how you treat your physical body and how your behaviours can hinder self esteem. With this new awareness you can then go forward to use the many tools, skills and techniques featured in the course to enable you to adopt a more helpful approach, enhance your relationship with yourself and choose growthful behaviours in response to life events… with an overall aim of self-acceptance.
Course Aims & Objectives
- Define what is meant by self-esteem and low self-esteem
- Demonstrate the causes and effects of low self-esteem.
- Explain unhelpful thinking styles, physical symptoms associated with low self-esteem and unhelpful behaviours.
- Illustrate how to challenge these unhelpful patterns using various therapeutic techniques.
- Discuss the cyclical effect of low self-esteem and how to break the cycle.
- Understand self-care.
- Learn to evaluate your own behaviour and substitute unhelpful practices with more helpful ones.
- Identify your positive attributes, achievements and establish gratitude.
- Develop a self-esteem goal for each participant.
- Learn to build resilience and an ‘I can’ attitude.
- Learn to reach past your self-imposed limitations and achieve your goals.
- Encourage peer acceptance, community support and reduce isolation.
- Build knowledge of techniques to improve self-esteem.
- Encourage self-acceptance.
- Build self-confidence.
Module 1 – Understanding self-esteem, it’s effects and your level of self-esteem under the following headings:
- What is self-esteem?
- What is low self-esteem?
- What causes it?
- How does it affect us?
- Where do I get my self-esteem?
Module 2 – Understanding core beliefs and how they hinder self-esteem:
- Evaluating learned beliefs.
- Challenging unhelpful core beliefs.
Module 3 – Building self-esteem through our thoughts using the following methods:
- Understanding unhelpful thinking styles
- Challenging our negative thoughts
- Identifying our positive attributes
- Positive rephrasing & daily affirmations
- Self-acceptance through meditation
Module 4 – Building self-esteem and confidence through our physicality using the following methods:
- Body image
- Appreciation of our body
- Listening to our body through ‘Mindfulness’
- Posture and body language
- Practicing self-care
- Taking responsibility
- Outlets for stresses
- Understanding what the body needs
Module 5 – Building self-esteem through behaviour using the following methods:
- Understanding low self-esteem behaviours
- Practicing opposite action
- Acknowledging achievements
- Building mastery
Module 6 – Looking at the current needs for participants and what they want to achieve for the future through:
- Goal setting
- Understanding how our environment, relationships and community affect self-esteem
Course Benefits & Outcomes
- Gain greater awareness of your own self esteem
- Understand your current values, personal goals and expectations
- Evaluate your core beliefs and learn how to challenge hindering beliefs
- Gain awareness of the helpful and unhelpful thoughts and behaviours associated with low self esteem
- Learn supportive interventions to decrease unhelpful thinking
- Learn how to reason and think in a new helpful way
- Gain understanding of our basic physical needs and how they enhance our self esteem
- Be encouraged to take responsibility for your own physical health and wellbeing
- Gain an understanding of how posture affects self esteem
- Gain an understanding of self soothing techniques
- Practice mindfulness, relaxation and visualisation
- Practice therapeutic art making
- Learn practical skills to develop critical thinking and choose more helpful behaviours
- Gain a sense of self worth through self discovery
- Gain personal understanding and self compassion
- Gain knowledge of creative tools and coping mechanisms
- Identify your positive attributes
- Acknowledge your own achievements in life
- Understand mastery and how you have gained mastery in certain areas already
- Gain resilience and understand how to develop an ‘I can’ attitude
- Establish gratitude for self and others
- Learn how to set achievable goals
- Set personal goals to enhance self esteem
- Be encouraged to participate in community and build social capital
- Gain greater self acceptance